Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, A tale of a fateful trip. That started from this tropic port, Aboard this tiny ship..."


Where do I begin.... it was a rough 3 days... but someone had to do it! :)

On Monday morning we headed to Ha Long Bay for our three day tour. The bus ride is about 4 hours. The students have learned that lines on the road are simply suggestions to be followed if you wish. At least there is a pecking order among types of transportation... basically, bigger always wins and we were in a bus! Passing can occur anywhere at anytime, uphill, downhill, on a corner, in the opposing lane, it just doesn't matter! About half way to Ha Long Bay we stopped at a 'handicapped and disabled compound' that was selling their crafts to support themselves. Now my wife and I (and my mother) have been to this place 14 years ago when we adopted our daughter Aisya, and I have been back 10 years ago with a Jrs. Abroad trip... it is now a complete tourist trap. What used to be $3 is now over $100. The 'compound' is now a huge building with many non-handicapped workers. Hmmm... they have found the tourist dollar.

We eventually made it to Ha Long Bay, and were told that the overnight permits were revoked by the government because of a major storm headed into the South China Sea... to which one of our students remarked, "I'm not worried about a typhoon, we were vaccinated against that weren't we?" I am going to assume that was a joke and not their knowledge base of typhoid. We were able to get a day permit and headed out, our guide was hopeful the overnight ban would be lifted while we were out and then we just continue as normal.... well that didn't happen. We were on the other side of Ha Long Bay and they needed to get us a hotel on Cat Ba Island. We jumped into two vans and began the trip across the island  through the jungle and little villages here and there... there was definitely a sense of urgency from the drivers and guides to get us to a hotel very soon. You could see the lighting way off in the distance. I think they knew that if it started to rain hard before we got to a hotel, the roads would be a muddy slippery mess... we sort of compared it to a scene out of Jurassic Park, all that was missing was the Tyrannosaurus Rex. I am sure all the students will have stories to tell from this adventure.

We made it to the hotel safe and even dry... it just started to rain upon our arrival. Overnight, it was an amazing storm for those who stayed up to watch it.... so I was told in the morning. I fell asleep the second my body head the concrete bed, actually it probably just knocked me out.

The next day we awoke to a beautiful day and back to the boat we went... very casually this time. The next couple days we went through caves and kayaked, and just relaxed. Oh, and also ate and ate and ate... vietnamese meals just keep coming dish after dish after dish. The students had fun jumping off the boat... yes mom's and dad's we were very careful and always had several jellyfish spotters. That really doesn't sound good... but it was safe. That night, the students tried their hand at karaoke... the vast majority of them should not change their major to music. :)

On the way back from Ha Long Bay to Ha Noi, I took a couple pictures of interest. First you will see what looks like grave markers out in the middle of rice fields. I have seen them before when I have been here but they always look to be about 3-4 feet in length... vietnamese are short, but not that short. I finally found out what the reason is. (Disclaimer, the following explanation is rated PG-13) They practice cremation in Ha Noi because of so many people, but out in the countryside they practice burial.  A family buries their dead in a simple wood coffin with no markings or headstones for 3 years. After the 3 year, the family returns and digs up the grave and cleans the bones and then places them in a permanent concrete grave with appropriate marking etc. Now there is a place for the families to come pay their respect to their passed family members.

The last few pictures in this group are for my family but I will explain for those who want to know. My brother works for an electrical company so I thought he might like the power/phone/Internet/laundry lines... there might be a contract here he could pick up. The three photos after the spider lines are 1) Mrs. Thuy, she owned the hotel we stayed at 14 years ago when we were here adopting our daughter. 2) The little french restaurant on the lake that my mother, wife, and I went to have jasmine tea, and egg, and toast every morning. 3) the view from the restaurant to the lake now... it has been over grown with trees and shrubs. The very last photo is for my vietnamese daughter Aisya (who is home with mom)... Hey squirt, notice they even have Forever 21.

Take care everyone...

Photos of the last several days: http://bwilson.cs.georgefox.edu/GEED365/May-16/album/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for pictures and update on your Ha Long Bay tour. I located those table linens that I purchasd during that Juniors Abroad trip fourteen years ago. Perhaps I had better get them appraised and added into our will. Hope your last days of travel will be especially enjoyable.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete